Planning and Zoning

Zoning & Development Review

Before building permits are issued, development plan approval is required for all new development, site improvements, building additions or alterations, or any other improvements to property, except that which is zoned for single or two family use. Contact the Planning and Community Development Department before starting your project to determine the appropriate approval process.

Review Process

All new commercial construction and development projects involving exterior changes to property require review and planning approval, either through an Administrative Review process or City Council Review process, depending on the nature of the proposed project. If variances from the Zoning Code are proposed, additional approval is required by the Building and Zoning Board of Appeals.
The process officially begins with a Pre-Application Meeting with the Director of Planning and Community Development. The applicant will be guided to the correct process and provided with a checklist of required submittals. See Chapter 1126 of the Zoning Code to learn more about the City’s review process and submittal requirements.


The City of North Olmsted Zoning Map are available below. For official zoning determinations of a specific property, contact the Department of Planning and Community Development at (440) 223-5582.

Sign Code Update

The sign code update went into effect December 18, 2020 and can be found below. Brochures summarizing the changes to the permanent sign regulations and temporary sign regulations have been prepared to help businesses navigate the new changes.

Zoning Certificate of Compliance

Regardless of whether or not a building permit is required for construction activities, any change of use, establishment of a new use or new business occupancy must be reviewed and issued a Certificate of Zoning Compliance by the Building Commissioner. Projects approved through the development plan review process will be issued a Zoning Certificate upon completion of their project. The application below should only be used for new businesses/changes in use for permitted uses that do not involve exterior changes to buildings or properties. If you have a question whether this application is applicable to your proposal, please contact the Planning and Community Development Department.

Rezoning, Lot Splits and Lot Consolidations

Where property owners propose rezoning of property, new subdivisions, lot splits or consolidations, review and approval by the Planning and Design Commission is required. For information about procedures for major subdivisions, lot splits and consolidations, contact the Division of Engineering. For information about the rezoning process, contact the Department of Planning and Community Development.

Construction, Alteration or Demolition in Historic Districts

Where property owners propose to construct new buildings, make alterations or additions to structures, or demolish structures that are located in the Butternut Ridge Historic District, the Landmarks Commission must first grant a Certificate of Appropriateness for the work. Certificates of Appropriateness are also required for work to properties that are official North Olmsted Landmarks located outside the Historic District.