Winter Snow Plowing and Salting Operations
The City of North Olmsted Service Department personnel are trained in snow plowing and salting of city streets. They are responsible for doing so before, during and after snow events. Following City Ordinances for winter snow events allows us to serve you better. Remember: No parking on the hydrant side of the street. Also, no parking between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., when the snow depth exceeds two inches or when a snow emergency is issued for the City.
During a snow event the streets will be plowed and salted given the follow priority.
- Main streets.
- Secondary streets.
- Residential streets within school zones.
- All other Residential streets and developments.
- In line with generally accepted salting practice, there will be limited salting during late evening/early morning hours from 11 p.m. – 4 a.m. as salting is not as effective due to low traffic volumes.
- The goal is to have all streets cleared of snow and ice within 24 hours or earlier after the conclusion of a snow event.
- Snow emergencies will be announced on local news outlets, City social media platforms, Police Department social media platforms and the City wide text messaging service.
- News media inform the public when it is not a good idea to travel on the roadways. We request that you consider taking their advice. Snow removal equipment cannot perform their work while stuck in traffic.
- Please be patient and courteous to the snow plow operators so they can remove the snow in the most effective way possible.
- Snow plow trucks frequently back up when plowing developments and side streets. Stay back at least 50 feet when following any snow plow truck.
- Do not allow children to play in or on piled snow and snow drifts within any street right of way including cul-de-sacs.
- Do not pile snow in the street. This practice will cause unsafe conditions for traveling vehicles and snow plows.
- Clear areas in front of mailboxes to help the post office with the delivery of the mail.
- Any questions: Email the Service Department at [email protected].