Division of Engineering

The Division of Engineering within the Department of Planning and Community Development gives advice to City officials, boards and commissions, residents and the development community on issues pertaining to engineering, zoning and building. Staff prepares preliminary plans, layouts, estimates or reports concerning any public improvements contemplated by the City. Staff also makes recommendations regarding the engineering features of dedication plans, utility plans and all aspects of private development plans.

The Division of Engineering on occasions also performs the following services:

  • Prepares plans, profiles, specifications and estimates of cost of every kind for public improvements.
  • Serves as the authorized representative of the City and supervise the execution of public works undertaken by the City.
  • Furnishes to City officials plans, specifications and estimates of the costs of public improvements for the guidance of the City’s decision makers and for the information and guidance of other persons dealing with the City.
  • Provides monthly reports of the progress of improvements under its charge.
  • Provides engineering services to any department of the City or official.
  • Prepares grant applications for County, State and/or Federal programs.


Frequently Asked Questions

Which projects on private property require engineering permits?
The following projects require engineering permits:

  • Storm and sanitary sewer work, including new construction, repairs and replacement
  • Apron and/or sidewalk replacement
  • Curb cuts
  • Grading changes (landscaping does not require a permit unless the grading is affected)
  • Street and treelawn openings

Note: This list is not comprehensive, please contact the Division of Planning if you have questions regarding your project. Also, many projects will require building permits in addition to engineering permits, so please contact either division to discuss the scope of your project.

How do I split or consolidate my lots?
Contact the Division of Engineering to begin the process for lot splits and consolidations. Approval from Cuyahoga County and the North Olmsted Planning & Design Commission are required and they can walk you through the process and what is required.

How can I find my sanitary or storm test tee location?
A copy of the sanitary or storm test tee locations may be available in the property street file available in the Division of Building. If a drawing is not available, the City will try to locate it using an electronic TV device. Contact the Waste Water Treatment plant to help locate a sanitary test tee and the Service Department to help locate a storm test tee.

Is the City responsible for snaking out my sewer lines between my house and the public sidewalk?
The property owner is responsible for maintaining sewer lines between the house and the sewer main. The city may offer assistance with the portion of sewer line between the public right-of-way and the main at its discretion and based on availability.

Who can I call about backyard drainage issues?
Property owners are responsible for drainage of their private property. The natural drainage pattern may not be modified to adversely affect a neighboring property. Easement areas shall not be obstructed or modified without permission of the easement grantee (i.e. city or public utility).

May I enclose the roadside ditch in front of my house with a pipe? It is very difficult to mow the grass in the ditch.
Filling or enclosing roadside ditches is not permitted for the following reasons:

  • The flow capacity of the ditch will be significantly reduced if a pipe is installed.
  • The larger flow capacity of a ditch helps prevent upstream flooding.
  • A ditch allows storm water to recharge ground water levels which have become depleted due to extensive land development.
  • The soil and vegetation in a ditch filter pollutants from the storm water before they enter Lake Erie and our drinking water—a pipe sends the pollutants straight to Lake Erie.
  • A roadside ditch provides a storage area for storm water in your front yard which helps prevent flooding in your basement.
  • Roadside ditches are intended to provide drainage for the road pavement. The ditches capture and convey runoff from the road surface so vehicles, including safety and service forces can safely pass.

Who is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk in front of my home?
Property owners are responsible for maintenance, repair and replacement of sidewalks along the frontage of their property. For more information regarding the City’s Sidewalk Program, visit the Sidewalk Program tab.

Who is responsible for maintaining the apron of my driveway?
Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of aprons, culvert pipes and curbing along their property. Please note that all culvert pipes and any deteriorated or broken curbing along the apron shall be replaced at the time of apron replacement, unless pre-approved by the city. For more information, refer to the Engineering Permit Application and the Standard Engineering Details, available in the Downloads tab.

We have a problem with cars speeding down our street. Can a stop sign be installed at the corner of our street?
Research shows that other measures are more effective than adding stop signs or traffic signals to reduce speeding. The purpose of stop signs and traffic signals is to assign right-of-way at an intersection, not to control speeding. Overuse of stop signs reduces their effectiveness and if installed where not justified they are largely ignored by drivers who tend to speed up between stop sign controlled intersections rather than slow down.

Can a “Slow – Children at Play” sign be installed on my street? Cars are speeding down the street and I am afraid they will endanger my children.
The Ohio Department of Transportation discourages the use of these types of signs because they are often ineffective, unnecessary and confusing. Studies show that most collisions involving a child are not caused by driver behavior. Children live on most residential streets. Installing a sign on one street would require we install one on all, rendering the sign redundant. Drivers should drive slowly and carefully in all residential areas. Those that are careless and speed won’t be discouraged by a sign. The city also does not want these signs to give residents a false sense of security or encourage that children play in the street.

Will the City install a crosswalk across a main road even though there is no traffic signal?
Crosswalks at mid-block locations that are not controlled by a traffic signal or stop sign will only be placed where it is safe, effective and appropriate. Where unsignalized intersections are warranted, adequate markings, lighting and signing are to be provided. The City Engineer will determine if a crosswalk is warranted. In areas that are unfit for unsignalized crosswalks, it is recommended that pedestrians cross at signalized intersections when the signal is red or at a stop sign.

Where do I obtain maps of the city?
Several maps are available on the city website at https://www.north- olmsted.com/boards-and-commissions/landmarks-commission/research-tools-2/. Otherwise, the Engineering Department does have copies of street and zoning maps that you may obtain for a small fee.

I am interested in purchasing a lot in Butternut Ridge Cemetery. Who do I contact?
Contact the Department of Public Service.

5200 Dover Center Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070

City Hall Hours | Weekdays 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

(440) 777-8000

займ на карту без отказа